11 May Beginner’s Summer Fitness Challenge 2015
Summer is approaching quickly and with it the sought after goal to look great in a bathing suit or bikini. Maybe you just want to be healthier than you are now. This Summer’s Fitness Challenge is designed to gradually increase your workout regimen and improve on your eating habits. It is a gradual approach and not a quick fix. By the end of summer you should see huge improvements in your overall fitness levels.
Beginner to Fitness
Each week we will add a a little bit to your routine. Keep doing what you have been doing and substitute or replace as required by the weekly suggestion. The video demonstrates all the exercises of this Summer Fitness Challenge:
- Every day: Walk 10 min a day at a brisk pace
- Every day: Include veggies with lunch & dinner
- Every two days: 2×10 bodyweight squats, 2×10 (modified) push ups, 2×15 band rows (attach to stair rail, etc. )
- Increase your daily walk to 15 min a day
- Start including proteins into your three major meals: pork, fish, beef, poultry, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.
- Add 2×20 jumping jacks (or modified jumping jacks) +2x30s plank on knees or balls of feet
- Download a HIIT timer (high intensity intervals) to your phone. Set it to 30s on and 60s rest. Increase your speed for the 30s and walk as before during the rest phase. Stay with 15 min total. Do this every 2nd day while walking your regular 15 min every other day.
- Decrease one of your vices (soda, diet soda, alcoholic beverages) by adding 16-20 oz of water in between drinks
- Increase all of your sets by one (doing 3 instead of 2) for two of your strength training routines during the week
- Increase your pace during the intervals. If you cannot do that because of joint issues, take some hand weights with your or use nordic walking sticks.
- Eat only until you are 80% full. Good gauge: after 1 hour of eating = not hungry, after 2 hours of eating = could eat some, after 3 hours of eating = hungry, after 4 hours of eating = starving.
- Add 3x30s of dead bug (ab exercise) to your strength regimen
- Increase your walking duration on non interval days by 5 min
- If you sleep less than 6.5 hours, schedule a nap or go to bed 15-30 min earlier
- Add one more set to all of your strength exercises.
This is a 5 week program. within 5 weeks you will make huge changes in your lifestyle without thinking that it is not accomplishable. You will notice an increased energy level, decreased body fat and you will definitely be overall fitter.
If you prefer a customized fitness transformation please contact us at Shape Up Fitness & Wellness Consulting
Have a fit & healthy day,